Tuesday, March 31, 2015

First Attempt at Prime Focus Astrophotography--Orion Nebula

Greetings, astro photo fans,

Last night I had just gotten my telescope set up when I looked up to find clouds had snuck up and covered the entire sky. But hope springs eternal with me, so I waited... First the moon peeked out, then Jupiter, and finally the constellation of Orion! So I took the opportunity to hook up my modded Canon (with an astrophotography filter) to the back of the scope and took a 20-sec exposure of the Great Nebula in Orion. Amazing!! It was very, very hard to focus, but I'm really happy with my first few shots, which I only tweaked a bit in Lightroom to bring out contrast and enhance the gases, but I did not colorize this at all. I think we're in for a LOT of rain for this next week or two, but as soon as we get a hint of clearing, I'll give it another go. And this time, I'll take a series of them and stack them. Should yield a much more impressive image. Stay tuned!









No comments:

Post a Comment